The irritation or compression of the lower back nerve usually caused sciatica and lower back pain. This is a common health problem in nowadays (according to the statistics, even 5 to 10% of Americans suffer from it).
This nerve is the longest in the body, and the pain can be felt from the lower spine to the lower part of one leg or even the foot.
The most common symptoms of this painful condition are:
– A piercing pain felt in one buttock and leg
– Pain that is intensified in a sitting position
– A burning and tingling pain
– Loss of bowel and bladder control when it is the most severe.
The reason for this condition can be various, such as:
- Slipped disc (90% of cases)
- A direct injury
- Spondylolisthesis (or a slipped vertebrae)
- Spinal infections
- Cauda equine syndrome
- Spinal stenosis (it is the narrowing of the spinal cord passage)
This often unbearable pain can be prevented in the following ways:
– Regular exercise for strengthening the back muscles
– A proper body posture
– Sleeping on a firm mattress
– Regular practice of a lifting technique
– Properly adjusted car seat for lower back support
In this article we are suggesting you the best six exercises to prevent and relieve sciatica pain:
- Hamstring Stretch Exercise
– Starting position: – Sitting on the floor, keeping back straight, with the stretched legs, and a hand-width apart.
– Inhale deeply, and while exhaling, lean forward from the hips, reaching the toes with the hands.
– Pushing the collarbone towards the feet, hold this position for half a minute.
- Knee Lifts Exercise
– Starting position: Laying on the back, with the knees bent to a 90-degree angle. Keep your arms flat by the sides.
– Elevating the legs until they are at a foot height from the floor, gently lower them.
– Perform 5 repetitions.
- Piriformis Stretch Exercise
– Starting position: Laying on the back bend your knees. Keep the heels pushed towards the buttocks, cross one leg over the other, resting the ankle.
– Stretching the hips, hold for 20 seconds.
– Changing the leg hold for another 20 seconds.
For a more intensifying stretch, push out the leg.
- Knee To Chest Stretch Exercise
– Starting position: While laying on the back, bend the knees to a 90-degree angle, keeping your feet firm on the floor.
– Wrapping the hands around one knee, pull it to the chest.
Hold this position for 20-30 seconds and repeat with another leg.
- Back Extensions Exercise
– Starting position: Laying with the face down, keep the feet and hands flat on the floor.
– Push the hands to arch the back, keeping the fingertips at an eye level,
– Hold this position for 5-10 seconds.
– Then, lowering the back to the ground, complete one repetition
Perform 10 repetitions.
- Gluteal Stretch Exercise
– Starting position – Laying on the back, with the knees bent to a 90-degree angle.
– Elevating the left leg, rest the ankle on your right thigh.
– Wrapping the hands around the right thigh, pull it close to your body,
Hold this position for 20-30 seconds. After 3 reps, switch the leg.
Watch the videos below:
Other included sources linked in The Healthy Central’s article: www.herbs-info.com — Original Article Source
Featured image source: Dr.Mercola