Honey is often used to sweeten tea or in pancakes, salads and smoothies. It is also known for its many health benefits such as improving digestion and aiding weight loss, boosting energy levels, regulating blood sugar and preventing insomnia, among others.
In addition to all these benefits, honey is an amazing beauty product that can improve skin and hair in numerous ways. It is loaded with antioxidant, antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and humectant properties and can be an easy and inexpensive fix for acne, tanning, dry hair, and dandruff, to name just a few of the many beauty issues it can treat.
10 amazing ways to use honey for hair and skin beauty
- Fades Scars
Scars come in many forms and sizes and can be unattractive on visible body parts, which is why people look for ways to get rid of them quickly. Although they can be hard to treat, honey can be used to lighten and fade scars and minimize their appearance because it boosts tissue regeneration and healing.
- Mix honey with an equal amount of extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil.
- Massage on the scar for 1 to 2 minutes using a circular motion
- Cover the area with a warm washcloth and leave it until cool
- Wipe the area with a clean cotton ball
- Repeat this procedure two times a day
- Treats Psoriasis
This autoimmune disease affects skin cells and causes itching and redness, blisters and even lesions. Although honey cannot cure psoriasis, it can help to reduce inflammation, soothe skin and protect the damaged skin from becoming infected. Honey also helps relieve dryness of skin and patching and peeling.
A study published in Complementary Therapies in Medicine in 2003 found that topical application of a mixture of equal amounts of natural honey, olive oil and beeswax was useful in managing both psoriasis vulgaris and dermatitis.
- Put equal amounts (1 teaspoon) of honey, beeswax and olive oil into a microwave bowl
- Heat the mixture in the microwave until the beeswax is melted
- Remove the mixture from the microwave, stir and allow to cool
- Apply as a lotion to the affected area a few times daily
- Remember to refrain from scratching or picking at the lesions
- Heals cuts and wounds
Honey is an effective and natural germ killer that can be used to treat minor cuts and scrapes. It prevents the growth of various microorganisms and minimizes the risk of infections. It also helps to draw fluids away from affected areas, thus speeding up healing.
One study from 2013, published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, notes that honey is an effective topical treatment for acute wounds, although not as effective in treating chronic wounds like infected surgical wounds and skin ulcers.
High quality Manuka honey is the best kind to use for treating minor cuts and wounds.
- Spread Manuka honey in a thick layer on the affected area.
- Cover the area with a bandage for a few hours
- Take off the bandage and clean the area with a damp cloth
- Repeat procedure as necessary
- Fights Acne
Acne usually appears as a result of excess secretion of oil, which mixes with trapped dust in the pores of the skin, thus creating fertile ground for growth of bacteria.
Honey is a natural anti-inflammatory and antibiotic agent which prevents infection and reduces acne symptoms as well as possessing vital nutrients that keep skin moisturized and glowing
- Apply natural raw honey on the area affected with acne
- Leave it on the skin for about 30 minutes
- Rinse off with lukewarm water
- Repeat procedure 2 or 3 times daily
Or you could simply mix (thoroughly) ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder with 1 tablespoon of honey and apply it on the affected area, leave it on skin for 15 minutes and then wash off well with warm water. Repeat 1 to 2 times a day.
Honey is high in antioxidants which protect skin from the cell damage that free radicals cause. They also accelerate the aging process and could contribute to the development of fine lines, crow’s feet, wrinkles, and even saggy skin.
Honey keeps skin well-hydrated, and hydration is one of the secrets of youthful, glowing skin.
- Mix equal amounts of natural raw honey and freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Apply to face and neck area and allow to dry
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Use this treatment 1 or 2 times a week.
Or, alternatively, mix 2 tablespoons of raw honey with 2 tablespoons of avocado pulp. Spread this over your face and neck using your fingers and leave it on for 30 minutes minimum before rinsing off with lukewarm water. Use the mask one weekly.
- Stops Hair Loss
For those worried about hair falling out, honey’s antioxidant properties in combination with germicidal and fungicidal properties can stimulate hair growth and reduce hair loss. It can also keep dandruff, one of the factors contributing to hair loss, under control.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey with 1 tablespoon of onion juice
- Massage scalp and hair roots with mixture
- Leave for 30 minutes then shampoo as usual
Or, alternatively, mix equal amounts of honey and yogurt. Apply the mixture to wet hair and leave on for 30-40 minutes. Shampoo as usual. Use the treatment 2 or 3 times weekly.
Featured Image Source: www.top10homeremedies.com