Commercially available teeth whiteners can increase your teeth’s sensitivity and chances of discoloration because they can corrode your teeth and enamel.
To prevent this undesirable state, you can use turmeric for whitening your teeth and avoid such harmful side effects. All you need to do is wet the toothbrush and, after dipping it in turmeric powder, go on to brush your teeth as you normally do. The turmeric can be left on for 3 to 5 minutes then rinsed off thoroughly and then you brush with your usual toothpaste and rinse as usual for bright white teeth.
Smokers and coffee lovers especially are prone to teeth stains and discoloration and the chances are that they buy whitening toothpaste and products to remove them. These products usually contain peroxide, which does bleach the stains and remove the discoloration but using them in the long run is harmful for your teeth. We tell you how to replace such products with natural tooth whiteners.
Downside of commercial teeth whiteners
A lot of the commercial teeth whitening products contain chlorine dioxide, a compound which is also used for disinfection of swimming pools! This can actually whiten your teeth, but such a bleaching agent is not really a good thing to put in your mouth.
Such products do the job of whitening teeth by actually corroding the stained or discolored top layer or enamel, which is there to protect the sensitive inner parts. This means that, without the protective enamel layer, teeth have a greater chance of further staining and discoloration. In addition, there is also the risk of these products causing chemical burns on the gums, which can result in permanent damage and even losing teeth. All this leads us to the conclusion that it’s better to use a natural alternative. Turmeric happens to a safer teeth- whitening choice.
Why turmeric is a good choice for whitening teeth
Turmeric is not only a popular spice in Asian cooking, it’s active ingredient curcumin actually provides great health benefits. It has been shown to prevent inflammation and some serious health issues such as arthritis. Furthermore, its antioxidant properties help prevent damage to cells and DNA, which could result in chronic illnesses such as heart disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
At first glance, it seems that the intense color of turmeric would stain everything it touches. However, it does actually work wonders to whiten teeth, remove stains and generally lighten overall color of teeth and using it regularly has been shown to leave your teeth pearly white and shiny.
Natural turmeric teeth-whitening remedies
Using turmeric tooth powder
- You’ll be pleasantly surprised at the whiteness of your teeth after only a few days’ consistent use of this simple remedy!
- Wet your toothbrush, preferably one that is used exclusively for turmeric.
- Dip the toothbrush in organic turmeric powder (1/8 teaspoon)
- Brush your teeth as usual without then rinsing your mouth
- Let the turmeric stay on for around 3 to 5 minutes
- Spit it out and rinse thoroughly with water
- Any yellow remaining at the corners should be washed off with a little soap or face wash
- If turmeric is not rinsed, it can leave a yellowish tint, so it’s important to really rinse well
Make your own turmeric toothpaste
- Mix ¼ teaspoon organic turmeric with 1/8 teaspoon coconut oil (melted) in a bowl
- Put this mix on your toothbrush (exclusively for this purpose) and brush as you normally would but without rinsing
- Let it stay on for 3 – 5 minutes
- Rinse thoroughly with water, trying to get most of it off teeth and gums
- Brush remaining turmeric away with regular toothpaste and rinse well
Once you see the results from these natural yet effective home whiteners, you will never buy commercial tooth whiteners ever again.
Featured Image Source: www.curejoy.com